- This event has passed.
Asian Adventure: A Family Day
February 13, 2010 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Join us at the Harn Museum of Art for an Asian Adventure! The event offers live dance performances, tours of Highlights from the Asian Collection, and opportunities to create your own art inspired by Asia.
- 1 – 4 pm: Ruth Sheng will demonstrate traditional Chinese calligraphy.
- 1:15 pm: Dr. Vinata Vedam, Bharata Natyam dancer, dance teacher and owner of the local dance studio Nrityakshetra, and her students Varija, Brindha, Sanika and Smruthi will demonstrate a short dance and teach steps to children in the audience.
- 2 pm: Yoshie Terada will host a traditional Japanese tea ceremony.
- 3:30 pm: Komala Kumari Mayshark, Prtha Goldman, Sita Wolf, Jahnavi Harris and Kalindi Andujar, dancers from the Bhakti Kalalayam Dance Academy in Alachua, will perform a short Bharata Natyam dance called thillana. The traditional dance features movements mimicking those of dancing sculptures on ancient temple walls.
- 3:45 – 4 pm: Medha Ranka, junior at the International Baccalaureate Program at Eastside High School, will perform a classical Indian dance. Ranka has been learning Bharatnatyam from Mathura Alladi of the Jathiswara School of Dance since the age of 7.
The family day is a collaboration with the Center for the Study of Hindu Traditions (CHiTra) at the University of Florida.
Admission is free. For more information call 352-392-9826 or visit www.harn.ufl.edu.