- This event has passed.
Lenny Kumar and Tassa Drummers
April 9, 2010
Trinidad and Tobago Sweet Tassa, a tassa ensemble from Tampa, will give performances, masterclasses, and more on April 9-10. T&T Sweet Tassa will be accompanied by Lenny Kumar, one of the most recognized tassa drummers in Trinidad.
Tassa is a drum of Indian origin that came to the Caribbean with indentured laborers from 1838-1917. Today, Indo-Caribbean culture is flourishing, and tassa is an important part of it. Tassa drums are played at Hindu weddings, cultural events, and parties in the Caribbean.
Ethnomusicology student Chris Ballengee will give a lecture on tassa repertoire and technique with the help of the musicians on Saturday evening.Events are free and open to the public. Email Chris for more: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, April 9:
- 10:40 am – Guest lecture for Dr. Welson Tremura’s MUH 3541 Latin
American Music Class, Room 144, UF Music Building (NOTE: There is
limited space for this event; please confirm with Chris Ballengee
[email@example.com] if you plan to attend).
- 11:30 am – Masterclass for Dr. Ken Broadway’s percussion students,
Room 121, UF Music Building.
- 1:55 pm – Guest lecture for Olga Godula’s MUH 2501 Intro to World
Music Class, Room 121, UF Music Building.
- 4:30 pm – Masterclass, Room R-001, Santa Fe College campus,
sponsored by Musicians United.
Saturday, April 10:
- 2:00 pm – Performance at Santa Fe Spring Arts Festival, downtown
- 4:30 pm – Masterclass at Studio Percussion, 509 Northwest 10th Avenue.
- 8:00 pm – “Tassa Repertoire and Technique,” a Lecture Recital by Chris Ballengee
assisted by T&T Sweet Tassa