- This event has passed.
Welcome to Sangeet Sammelan: A Grand Musical Event!
April 3, 2010 @ 2:00 am - 6:00 pm
- 2:00 – 2:15 pm: “Vocal and Instrumental renderings in Carnatic Music- a Comparison”- A lecture by Professor Krishnaswami Alladi
- 2:15 – 4:15 pm: Carnatic Music Program:
Vocal – Vasumathi Vasudevan
Violin – Kalpana Prasad
Mridangam – Vikram Vasudevan
- 4:15 – 4:30 pm: Break
- 4:30-6:30 pm: SPICMACAY Jam Group
Rendering classical music in Carnatic and Hindustani styles
About the speaker and the artists:
- Professor Krishnaswami Alladi is at the Mathematics Department of the University of Florida where he was Chairman until 2008. He is the Editor-in-Chief of The Ramanujan Journal that is devoted to all areas of mathematics influenced by the genius Srinivasa Ramanujan and published by Springer. He is deeply interested in Carnatic music and attends the Madras Music Academy festival every year in December. He is inspired by Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, one of the greatest Carnatic vocalists of the 20-th century.
- Vasumathi Vasudevan is a student of Smt. Jayalakshmi Santhanam. She has performed in several venues and is a dedicated teacher.
- Kalpana Prasad is a disciple of Vidwan Violin Maestro Shri M.Chandrasekaran. She has been part of many concerts during the December Music Festival in India since 1990. In the United States, Kalpana has performed in Cleveland, Minneapolis and places in Florida. She has received many awards including the “Best Instrumentalist” award from Chinmaya Yuva Kendra. She is a Software Engineer by profession and works in Orlando. She is currently continuing her music lessons with Shri S.Ramakrishnan.
- Vikram Vasudevan had his initial training under Dr. Ramakrishnana of Miami-Florida. He is currently getting advanced training from Sir. Neyveli Narayanan Chennai – India.
- Vikram has accompanied leading artists both in US and in Chennai-India.
SPICMACAY Jam Group
- Carnatic vocal: Vinod Natarajan, Anuragini Vishwanathan, Priya Rudradas
- Hindustani vocal: Ashwini Chandrashekar, Sayak Mitter, Mansi Prasad
- Veena: Meera Sitharam
- Tabla: Tanmay Lele
Free Admission. Sponsored by the Classical Music Endowment Fund of the Center for the Study of Hindu Traditions (CHiTra) and SPICMACAY at the University of Florida.